Thursday, March 19, 2009

Watching the Wildlife

I love this shot from the Lowry Park Zoo. Jason was taking pictures with his new camera and wanted me to feed the giraffe so he could get a shot up close. I spent $2.00 for one cracker. The giraffes have really long tongues and they eat those crackers in a big hurry. I held out the cracker, the giraffe slurped it up, I heard Jason take his photo, then I threw my camera up and jabbed the button - lol. I had no idea if the giraffe was even in the frame. This was my result and I love it!

Looking a little more normal. They have the neatest eyelashes.
This owl did not like me and refused to look right at me. I'd get in front of him and he'd turn his head the opposite direction. I'd walk over there to get a photo and he'd turn back to the first position. I learned to shoot as I walked past :O).
A beautiful Okapi. I think it's neat how he looks like a cross between a zebra and a horse.
* * * * * * * * *
Now, more babies from the zoo. They were really my priority. I already posted shots and a video of the white tiger twin cubs.
Black and white colobus monkeys.
These are squirrel monkeys. Not a great shot - I had to take it through two mesh fences. The blob on the mother's back is actually a fairly new baby. It had very little fur. The baby was so new the zoo wasn't even mentioning it yet.
Photos above and below are of a Mandrill and her baby. They are relations to the baboon. Awesome colors on the mom's face. The baby didn't want to get too far from mom's side, but you can see him peeking around her in the top shot.
Right in the middle of the shot, you can see a tamarin baby. Again, I was shooting through fencing. This baby was trying to explore a bit on its own, but the mom was having none of that. Everytime the baby got out on the tree itself, the mom snatched it up and put it back in a box at the back of the enclosure.
Baby ring-tailed lemur. Look at the mom to the right in the photo. You can see the baby sitting in her lap. Its head is right under the mom's arm, then going down you can see its back, its left leg pulled up, and one little arm hanging on. Both lemurs had babies, but after about 30 shots I found that this was the best photograph I got.
Here is baby Randee, an orangutan. I showed her in a previous post. Here, Randee was playing with another orangutan that was hiding under the canvas. They were a lot of fun to watch. The zookeepers give them clothes and pieces of fabric to play with. When Kali and I were at the zoo 2-3 weeks ago, Randee's mom had a red t-shirt she carried everywhere. On this trip, she still had the red shirt, you just can't see it in this photo. Supposedly, the cloth helps calm the orangutans and gives them something to play with.
These babies were living in a pond in the hyenas enclosure. I wouldn't think that would be a prime place for raising babies. Maybe that's why the mom has them so hidden in this bush at waterside.

These last photos are just some random shots I took. The Lowry Park Zoo is an incredible zoo. They spent a lot of time landscaping the enclosures and adjacent areas to mimic the native homes of the animals. This is a great homeschool field trip, if you get the chance, or a great trip for anyone who really loves animals and specifically animal babies!

14 comments:

Nana said...

Great pictures. I love all the animals. Great job as always.

Patti said...

Love that first giraffe shot.

Whitney said...

I also love the first giraffe shot. Non-posed shots are the best =]

Gattina said...

Adorable pictures ! I love to go to the zoo from time to time. We have a quite big one in Antwerp.

Charlotte said...

What great shots you got of the animals. It is amazing how you captured the eyelashes of the giraffe. I'll go check out your son's blog.
Charlotte

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Your pictures are fantastic. We have a Wild Life Zoo here. My husband and I went about a month ago and I fed the giraffes. They are such gorgeous animals. I really could go to the zoo once a week, but not my hubs. He is good for another 10 years!!

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are wonderful. I often have trouble viewing your blog, and leaving a comment. I'll keep trying and I wish you and your family a happy weekend.

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Oh, my grandson would go crazy for this zoo...........He lives to go to the zoo. He knows of animals I've never even heard of.....their habitats, what they eat, etc. It's quite funny. I'll have to show him these pictures. He'll enjoy it.

Blessings,
Spencer

Mary Anne said...

Beautiful photos! My favorite is baby Randee, the orangutan;-) Thanks so much for visiting Marigold Manor and commenting on my miniature stove. It would be neat if you found the one you had as a child.

Have a super weekend.

Blessings,

Mary Anne

Secondhand Blessings said...

I really liked the picture you took of the owl. Last summer, My husband & I were driving down the road and spotted the same type of owl sitting on the side of the road, at first we thought it was injured; the owl even allowed me to pet it, then it just flew off. It was a pretty cool experience.
Brenda

Elizabeth-Plain and Simple said...

Great photos. Thanks for sharing them.

Blessings,
Elizabeth

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

I enjoyed seeing all your photography! Just beautiful!

Katherine

BECKY said...

Wowza, Alice!! Your zoo photos are awesome!! You have such a good eye!!

My faves are the giraffe and the owl!!

Hope your Sunday is full of joy!!
Blessings and hugs, bloggy friend!!
Becky

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your kind comment on my teacup pincushion. I am so thrilled to hear that your parents have the same set of dishes!!! :)

Love these zoo shots!! You take great pictures.

Have a blessed week.



Related Posts with Thumbnails
Click on photos to enlarge them to full screen.