Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Can You Have Half of An Empty Nest Syndrome?

This is my son Jason. My firstborn. He is growing into a wonderful young man. He has a job with many responsibilities, a plan for a future, and his whole life in front of him. I can't even begin to tell you how much he means to me or how much I love him. Well, we reached a new stepping stone in our lives here today. Jason moved into Gainesville.

I handled this decision by going shopping. I bought Jason necessary things that I am sure he has taken for granted all these years and would never imagine he will now need to be providing on his own. Lovely, fun things like toothpaste, clothes hangers, soap, shampoo, laundry detergent, stain sticks, fabric softeners, you get the idea. I even threw in some fun stuff like a Barq's root beer, some special mints he likes, and a big bag of wintergreen lifesavers. I even got Jason a Wal-Mart gift card in case he thinks of something we forgot - like cat litter.
We loaded furniture into the truck, and Jason packed his computer, television, and video game electronics into his car. Then we headed into Gainesville and saw the house Jason is moving into. A very nice home, beautiful hardwood floors, a decent-sized yard for being in a city, it's even fenced in for Ein, his corgie.
So, if your child hasn't moved away from home yet, and you can't imagine what it will look like with him gone, the above photo is a shot to let you know what our back yard looks like now - lol! Yay! He finally cleaned his room - just kidding, son! I love you! I will miss you desperately! Call home often! Love you, Mom.

5 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

How sad for you and how exciting for your son!!! Do not even want to think about either of my children moving out yet!!! Do you have plans for his room??? Enjoy the spring weather!!

luke and wyatt's mom said...

I don't even want to go there! (Luckly I have at least 12 years before I'm there!)

Nana said...

I know exactly how you feel. When my son left to go to the Univ. of Alabama and he cut those apron strings I thought "I" would bleed to death. A year later my daughter left to go to college in Maryland. Then, with both of them gone I did have to have therapy.:) It is a hard adjustment, but I had to look at it through their eyes to survive. They were starting out on their own with all the world ahead of them. You just hope and pray you have prepared them well enough. And then sooner than you think they are back as your friends and not just a child anymore. And hopefully they will bring you their spouse that you also can love, and one day they give you grand-children and it is all wonderful again. But it is very hard at first. Hang in there. At least he isn't too far away.

beth said...

But the tears that you will shed are happy tears. Just enjoy the process.

FeeBeeKay said...

Such a bittersweet time I'm sure Alice - it is all credit to you that Jason has turned out to be a really great young man that you are so proud of. Will be thinking of you over the next few days and keep you and Jason in our prayers as you all adjust to the new situation. Go gently and know that you are all being thought of.

Fiona x



Related Posts with Thumbnails
Click on photos to enlarge them to full screen.