Thursday, September 3, 2009

You Capture: Old Signs

Photobucket
Photobucket
This week's You Capture challenge is Old Signs. All these photos were taken two weeks ago in an area south of Atlanta. (I think we were south of Atlanta.) This old barn was located in Haralson, Georgia. If you look at the side of the building you will see the words: Fried Pork Rinds, Tripe, Hogshead Cheese Inside. To the left it says something about peanuts, but I can't make it out. Sorry.
Photobucket
Here's a closer version.
Photobucket
This beautiful old building was around a corner. It appears to have been the home of Sipwell Home Coffee. The writing on the building reads: When you drink...Sipwell Home Coffee and features a drawing of a cup of coffee. My favorite part is the partial clock face.
Photobucket
This photo was taken in Warm Springs, Georgia, in a home called the Little White House. The home was built by Franklin Delano Roosevelt in 1932, when he was governor of New York. He frequented the warms springs as a soothing measure for his paralysis and enjoyed the area so much that he built a home there. FDR used his house as a presidential retreat while he was President of the United States. On April 12, 1942, President Franklin Roosevelt was in his living room posing for a portrait when he suffered a stroke. He died shortly afterwards. This picture is of a hand-written note that FDR's cook wrote on the kitchen wall the day the president died. It has been preserved for all to see.
Photobucket
Now this sign is neither old, nor of historical significance. I just found it amusing and thought my fisherman husband might enjoy it :O).
Photobucket
And this is neither old, nor a sign. While I was browsing through an antique shop, my sister-in-law Sandy brought this to me with a chuckle! We both loved it! And I just thought I'd share it with you - lol!

To check out some other Old Signs, head on over to You Capture/I Should Be Folding Laundry here.

19 comments:

TexasBobbi said...

Love your signs.

Unknown said...

THAT BARN is amazing...very good shots!

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks said...

Great pictures! Love all the shots.

And yes that Maxwell Coffee sign was taken in Jacksonville :)

I was just there and took a bunch of pictures of that sign....and yes I could smell the coffee!

Kathy Campbell said...

Love the signs! Especially the chocolate diet pill. I just adore paintings on the sides of buildings.

Great shots!

jaime said...

The barn is great!!

Unknown said...

Awesome sign shots this week! Maybe it was Boiled Peanuts??

Prairie Lady said...

Those are really cool signs.

Allison and Ben said...

Great color in the first shot. Old barns are just wonderful.

Christie @ Life Begins said...

Great pictures. Love the chocolate diet pill. If only it were that easy...

Diana Lesjak said...

Love the diet pill... wonderful shot of the old barn! Love your blog!

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Love this post and your blog. Love the music too! These are awesome photos.

God bless!

Anjie said...

I love the coffee one. Very cool colors. I like how the "signs" used to be painted on the side of the buildings, and how they still remain all these years later. Great shots!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your visit. I love your photos this week. Old buildings are charming to me. We have a small community near where I live named "Crabapple." The buildings are about 150 years old and there is a large crabapple painted on the bricks of one.

{krista} said...

Great signs! I love the vegetarian one!

Lois Christensen said...

I've been to Warm Springs!!! When my hubby was stationed down in Ft. Benning, a bunch of us ladies got in the car and drove down there. I loved it so much I made hubby take me again when he had a day off. He loved it as much as I did. I still have a blanket that we use as a throw that we purchased down there together. Of course he doesn't remember that we got it down there, but I do. Nice memories for me! I laughed when I saw the pork rinds sign! Very nice pictures!

Turtle said...

I wish we had that kind of history around here. SoCal just gobbles it all up. Maybe we should be taking those diet pills! ;-) Nice shots!

corrin said...

Great signs. Love the old buildings.

Jendi said...

I love the old barn pictures.
How neat that they preserved Daisy's note.
Love the diet pill!

Vera said...

Those are really so interesting, specially the first photo and the very faded sign and dilapidated structure.

And i love that diet pill! It would be awesome if it worked too, haha :)



Related Posts with Thumbnails
Click on photos to enlarge them to full screen.