Friday, August 13, 2010

Fix-It Friday #66, I ♥ Faces


Photobucket
It's Fix-It Friday at i heart faces. They post an original, straight-out-of-the-camera shot for us to take and edit however we wish.
Above you can see the original they gave us this week. The immediate problems I found with the picture were the sleeve of his buddy in the shot, and the washed out tone of the entire photo.
Photobucket
I don't know that I like my first edit. It looks like a school photo. I edited it to a 4x6 portrait size, and did all my basic edits in photoshop. I brightened the photo, brought up the saturation, used a brush to bring out the outline of the irises, sharpened the lines in the photo, angled it a little to the left, and used mcpactions.com magic skin/magic powder action to smooth the face.
Photobucket
Next, I cropped the photo into a landscape 4x6, again removing his buddy from the shot, and angling our fellow a little to the left. I used the same edits as before and added to it. In mcpactions' Quickie Collection, I used the Snap action to sharpen the features up a bit more. Then with mcpactions' Bag of Tricks I used Magic Dark to take down the brightness of the face.
Photobucket
Then, I took that same picture and opened the Pioneer Woman's Action Set 1, and ran the lovely and ethereal action, followed by the soft and faded action.
Photobucket
And last, I opened mcpactions' Frosted Memories set and ran the faded edges, low res action, followed by the toasted edges, low res action. I love the way this one turned out. I think it's my favorite of the group - a little old-fashioned looking, soft and sweet. Just like I imagine the little boy to be :).

You can find out more about mcpactions HERE.
You can find the Pioneer Woman's free actions HERE.
And to see how everyone else edited this shot, or to post your own edits, go HERE.

6 comments:

christina said...

i kinda like #1! but i see what you mean about a school photo :) Fun to see all your plays, great job!

Alex and Emily said...

When I first cropped the photo vertically, I thought the exact same thing and changed it! Great edits and a beautiful blog!

Shawntae said...

They are all great edits! Love them!(0:

Anita Johnson said...

Really nice work...you're right, your cropping took it from "School Photo" to a captured moment in a little boy's life. Nice work!

Mandy said...

Thanks for the nice comments. And also the blog follow. I need to start righting down how I edit. I usually just do some things until they look good :-)

Frogmum said...

I love your last two edit ~ VERY MUCH! The only thing I might have done would have been to have erased the action (in layers) from his eyes a little, so bring back some of their amazing blue (only not too strong). All the same, your edits are great!! :D



Related Posts with Thumbnails
Click on photos to enlarge them to full screen.